terça-feira, 3 de abril de 2012

Big Trouble in Little Translation

I have something to confess: nothing makes me more mad than a terrible translation of a movie title to Portuguese. I understand the fact that some words in English make no sense when translated to other language. But why not correctly translate the movie titles to the closest meaning they would have in brazilian Portuguese?

I remember when Dan and I first start dating we talked about good 80's movies. He was telling me about some of his favorites movies and my answers were: "I don't know this one".. "May be this one was not popular in Brazil"..
We both thought something was wrong. I am a 80's lover and I didn't know any of the movies that Dan was talking about. So I decided to google the movies and.. surprise! The titles in Portuguese were completely different than the original ones.
One of our favorites movies from the 80's is "Big trouble in little China".. guess how they translate it to Portuguese? "The adventurers of the lost district".

...

After the most recent Oscar celebration I saw on the Brazilian Twitter Trending Topics the title "Crossing Stories".. It took me a few minutes to finally figure out that people in Brazil were talking about "The Help".

...

Two days ago I was reading a brazilian article about Adam Sandler's nominations for the Razzie Awards. They were talking about his newest movie "Each person has the twin that deserves". A terrible title in Portuguese that could be so simple: "Jack e Jill".

...

What about "Home Alone" ("They Forgot Me") or "Ocean's Eleven" (Eleven Men and a Secret) or "The Godfather" ("The Powerful Boss") or "The Hangover" ("Don't Get Married If You Drink") or "My Girl" ("My First Love") or "Meet the Parents" ("Getting in Trouble" - something like that)..?
I could talk about so many weird translations but I think you guys already got my point.

Why do they do it??

As I said before I understand that some original movie titles wouldn't make any sense in Portuguese. I just don't understand why people don't translate the titles with the same meaning in Portuguese as the original ones. For example "Finding Nemo" was translated as "Searching for Nemo" because we don't have a translation for the word "finding" in Portuguese. Perfect! The movie title in Brazil still having the same meaning as the one in US.

I hope some day they will change this.
Movies are art! Changing the title of a movie for me is as bad as drawing a mustache on Mona Lisa's face.




Eu tenho que confessar uma coisa: Nada me deixa mais irritada do que o título de um filme traduzido ridiculamente para o Português. Eu entendo o fato de que algumas palavras em Inglês não fazem sentido quando traduzidas ao Português. Mas por que não traduzir o título de um filme com o significado mais próximo possível do original?

Eu me lembro que quando Dan e eu começamos a namorar nós falamos sobre filmes bons dos anos 80. Ele me dizia alguns dos filmes que ele mais gostava e minhas respostas eram: "Eu não conheço esse".. "Talvez esse não ficou famoso no Brasil"..
Nós dois pensamos que algo estava estranho. Eu sou uma amante dos anos 80 e não sabia nenhum dos filmes que o Dan falava. Então eu decidi procurar os filmes no google e.. surpresa! Os títulos em Português eram completamente diferentes dos originais.
Um dos nossos filmes preferidos dos anos 80 é "Big Trouble in Little China" (a tradução correta seria "Um problemão num pedacinho da China" - algo do tipo). Adivinha como eles traduziram para Português? "Os Aventureiros do Bairro Proibido".

... 

Depois da ultima premiação do Oscar eu vi no Twitter Trending Topics do Brasil o título "Historias Cruzadas". Eu levei alguns minutos pra finalmente entender que eles estavam falando do "The Help" (tradução correta seria "A Ajuda")

...

Dois dias atras eu estava lendo sobre as indicações do Adam Sandler ao Framboesa de Ouro. Eles estavam falando sobre o seu mais recente filme "Cada um tem a gêmea que merece". Uma tradução ridícula que poderia ser tão simples: "Jack e Jill"

...

Sem contar que "Esqueceram de mim" poderia ser "Sozinho em Casa" ("Home Alone") ou "Onze homens e um segredo" poderia ser igual ao original "Ocean's Eleven" (seguido de algum subtitulo) ou "O Poderoso Chefão" poderia ser "O Padrinho" ("The Godfather") ou "Se beber não case" poderia ser "A Ressaca" ("The Hangover") ou "Meu Primeiro Amor" poderia ser "Minha Menina" ("My Girl") ou "Entrando Numa Fria" poderia ser "Conhecendo os sogros" ("Meet the Parents")..?
Eu poderia falar de muitas outras traduções estúpidas, mas eu sei que você já entendeu o meu ponto-de-vista.

Por que eles fazem isso?

Como eu disse antes, eu entendo que alguns títulos de filme em Inglês não fariam sentido quando traduzidos para o Português. Eu só não entendo porque eles não traduzem os títulos entao com um significado mais próximo o possível do original. Por exemplo: Se "Procurando Nemo" ("Finding Nemo") fosse traduzido literalmente seria "Encontrando Nemo". A palavra "encontrando" não é correta em Português. Perfeito! Traduziram para "procurando" e mantiveram assim o significado original. 

Eu espero que um dia eles mudem isso.
Filmes também são arte! Pra mim, mudar o filme de um filme é tão ruím quanto desenhar um bigode na Monalisa.



Um comentário: